Commissioning and Start-up (CSU) Pre-Commissioning Technicians
We are seeking highly qualified and experienced personnel to work as part of the Voisey’s Bay Mine Expansion Commissioning and Start-up (VBME CSU) team. Commissioning and Start-up work will be in a range of systems including underground material handling and dewatering systems; paste plant systems; 12MVA Powerhouse systems; fresh air raise and return air raise systems and other ancillary facilities. Knowing what to do, and equally important, what not to do, is critical when confronted with daily unplanned events or circumstances during field execution of Commissioning and Start-up. Inherently by its nature and type of work, including first energization of equipment, construction in a brown field environment is a higher risk activity, and there is no room for improvisation.
The Vale VBME CSU group is responsible for: pre-commissioning (S2) tasks required to verify equipment / component integrity; and cold commissioning (S3) tasks required to verify logic and controls will function as designed and Start-up of the equipment. The newly constructed process systems have been divided into commissionable sub-systems consisting of mechanical equipment, piping, and electrical power & controls. The CSU Group will primarily consist of Lead(s), CSU Technicians, and CSU Technical Support. Each group is supplemented with a construction team, a controls team and an electrical team dedicated to the CSU group.
The position of VBME Commissioning and Start-up Pre-Commissioning Technician is part of the Commissioning group responsible for Stage 2 Pre-commissioning tasks. Stage 2 Pre-Commissioning Testing covers the verification and testing of individual equipment and devices. This work includes the instrument calibration, I/O Checks, motor rotation checks, MCC checks, troubleshooting and repair, etc. The equipment is first energized during pre-commissioning. The position will be a direct report to the VBME Commissioning and Start-up Pre-Comm Lead.
The successful candidate will be responsible for day-to-day duties and deliverables as follows:
· Responsible for implementation on a day-to-day basis of a strong health and safety culture in line with the Client’s Safety and Health and Environment management system.
· Responsible for the execution of any assigned pre-commissioning group work on site.
· Ensures the pre-commissioning set-up, including calibration of instruments and vendor assistance, and pre-commissioning is efficiently executed to satisfy of commissioning objectives.
· Ensure completion of pre-commissioning check sheets and related paperwork that facilitates turnover of a sub-system to the operating group is completed.
· Provide leadership on the project in the execution of the construction completion process ensuring that systems are mechanically completed, turned over and fully commissioned, ready to operate as per requirements of the Systems Completions Specifications.
· Responsible for providing direction and support to the Commissioning support trades contractor and operators (when applicable) so they can execute day to day commissioning activities.
· Work with Mechanical Completions and Turnover groups to ensure transfer of subsystems from contractors to the owner.
· Verify that the construction, pre-commissioning, commissioning and start up requirements C1, C2, C3 documentation completion as per the projects scope.
· Plan and direct the daily commissioning tasks and ensure their safe completion by monitoring and supporting trades and operator activities.
· Responsible to ensure the commissioning set-up, pre-testing, testing, and process commissioning is efficiently executed to satisfy of commissioning objectives.
· Participate in daily work scope and safety meetings, update planners on work completion or delays for schedule.
· Perform subsystem walk-downs focusing on identifying deficiencies and turnover readiness.
· Responsible for ensuring punch items are categorized, completed, and signed off.
· Review turn-over documents.
· Review commissioning procedures and provided input as required.
· Execute commissioning tasks, coordinated work in the field and ensure it is carried out in accordance with written procedures with emphasis on Permit to Work and Lock Out/Tag Out guidelines.
· Field Level Testing/Validating/Adjusting equipment (Mechanical & Instrumentation).
· Trouble shoot and investigation of running equipment being operated by the Commissioning group.
· Completion of check sheets and related paperwork that facilitates turnover of a sub-system to the operating group.
· Provided support with start-up activities.
· Review project documentation to ensure the commissioning scope is aligned with the construction delivery scope.
· Review RFI and MoC logs to verify field changes made by construction are accurate and approved.
· Communicate and work collaboratively with various project disciplines – including other Commissioning groups, Commissioning support groups, the Client's project engineering, QA and construction disciplines.
· 7 or more years of experience as a Technician for Stage 2 Commissioning Activities. Experience in roles of Electrical and/or Instrumentation leadership will be considered when evaluating the candidates experience.
· Industrial Electrical (Red Seal) and/or Industrial Instrumentation Certificate
· Previous field level experience in first energization and calibration
· Previous field level experience in first energization of Low and High Voltage electrical equipment and calibration of instrumentation.
· Previous field level leadership for field execution and testing experience on large projects.
· Demonstrate proficiency in the understanding of construction drawings and technical documents with respect to electrical and instrumentation installations.
· Safety focused in the field, ability to prioritize self and others
· Valid Class 5 driving license
· Previous experience on Client's led Commissioning efforts is seen as an asset.
· Comfortable working in a team-based environment while possessing the ability to manage and prioritize day to day duties and deliverables.
· Demonstrate proficiency in the use MS Excel & Outlook.
· Strong Organization Skills
· Strong Communication Skills, both Written & Oral