Health Safety Advisor - Environment, Exploration
Seeking a dependable individual to provide practicable support in Safety Risk Management, developing processes to ensure compliance to maintain a system aimed at achieving zero harm to both the individual and the environment.
- Assessing regional sites to ensure that they have the capacity to support and maintain HSEC data.
- Assisting in the development of Emergency Response Plans for each regional area.
- Analysis of Incident reports to facilitate safety improvement, educate personnel and to reduce the possibility of major accidents.
- Identify and analyze risk and risk mitigation measures in the region.
- Conduct regular audits of regional projects, throughout the region to ensure compliance with standards and follow up with corrective actions or further training.
- Track incidents and undertake investigations often as the investigation team leader.
- Establish, maintain and report on effective safety management routine to Our client’s Standards including the Inductions, Toolbox meetings, Inspections, Incident Reporting and Investigation, in consultation with Project Managers Health & Safety.
- Audit contractor companies and external providers as required to ensure their programs are equal to Our client’s with respect to H&S standards and practices
- Ensure Toolbox meetings with employees and contractors are regularly attended to keep communication about H&S open throughout the department
- Develop and implement new induction/training practices across our staff and contractor teams.
- Actively promote and practice a safety culture that all field staff and contractors are aware of and promote compliance with Our client’s HSEC standards and procedures
- Provide HSE expertise & guidance to field staff (i.e. Geologists and Field Supervisors) and the most appropriate means to remedy identified potential hazards.
- Provide day to day direction & guidance to all levels of management on safety related matters.
- Manage the relevant Exploration HSE committees.
- As the subject matter expect and principal owner of H&SC, demonstrate and respect culture in the region.
- Assist with Community Consultation activities in the region when required.
- Assist with the development and writing of HSEC policies & standards, coordinate the implementation of such policies and standards in the various exploration site environments to employees and contractors.
- Assist with maintaining environmental monitoring and reporting to Our Client and Regulatory Standards.
- Remain current on H&S legislation and developments in Canada and the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, so that the H&S Coordinator can advise management and department on changes they need to be aware of
- Community College or OHS Diploma or related field – preferred
- Minimum of 5-8 years of related safety experience.
- Self-motivated, Safety-conscious, Flexible, Dependable and pays strict attention to detail.
- Incident Investigation Training
- Thorough knowledge of SHE policies, procedures, and government regulations
- High level of familiarity with mining and mineral processing construction projects
- High level of familiarity with mineral exploration
- Thorough knowledge of Safety and Health systems
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License is mandatory.
- This position includes regular field work and site visits to work sites, involving periods during which there is physical activity (e.g. hiking, walking, standing)
- Exposures to factors such as temperature variations, moving machinery, noise, and humidity.
- The work environment may change and may involve the use of a helicopter.
- There may be noticeable pressure from deadlines, production requirements, accuracy, or similar demands.
- First Aid/CPR/AED, preferred
- WHMIS, preferred
- Additional training will be provided as required
- CRSP designation preferred
Voisey’s Bay Newfoundland and Labrador
rotational 14 days in/14 days out, 12 hrs/day
Contact PersonCarla Fennell
Accommodations are available upon request for all individuals with disabilities taking part in the recruitment and selection process.