Sr. Principal Automation Engineer
The Principal Automation Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation engineering portfolio in both, the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor junior employees while providing automation engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You are also responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your automation design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation team
- Minimum 15-years of experience in an engineering or project management role with a technical firm.
- Have a diverse set of personal and professional contacts which you will leverage to help maintain and grow our pipeline and client base.
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Leadership and Project Management experience is essential.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the Canadian mining industry is a definite asset but all mining industry recognition will be acknowledged.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation team.
- Extensive knowledge in Ontario and Canadian engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience.
- Extensive knowledge in automation technology and automation products including new and legacy PLC, Scada, Foxboro and other similar systems an essential requirement.
- Experience in specifying new automate systems for green field mines and mining plants considered an asset.
- Extensive knowledge in commissioning of large systems a critical requirement.
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, MicroStation and other specialized automation design platforms.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and mechanical type systems.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the automation lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
- University degree in engineering or related discipline (preferred: electrical, mechatronics, or software engineering).
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.