Senior Mechanical Engineer
This role is primarily an individual contributor role that reviews engineering deliverables from external consultants for the NAPG Sudbury Mines and Execution projects. This is one of four positions responsible for managing the discipline engineering reviews with the designated engineering contractors at the engineer's offices and other Sudbury Mines Project sites. This role participates in internal and external engineering reviews for multi-discipline projects in a manner that will meet business needs in accordance with our client’s project management principles of safety, quality, scope, schedule and cost. This role also assist in the review of work plans, schedules and execution of assigned projects. The incumbent will ensure best practices are being implemented and used and that the highest level of service support is being provided from the contractors. They will also assist the Project Management Team to ensure that risks in design identified in FEL 3 and Execution are brought to ALARA. The Discipline Engineer works collaterally with their peers on the Sudbury Mines projects and cross functionally with all other areas to ensure compliance to the quality plan for projects are required. This coordination and execution of work is expected to be within scope, on time, within budget and quality requirements in a zero harm environment.
- Supports the Engineering Manager and Project Engineering Specialists in the execution of projects.
- Participate in Management of Change requirements based on our client’s SPE.
- Manage the discipline design engineering process/contractors in the specific areas of accountability. Manage design in within engineering contracts including any boundary issues.
- Participate in and contribute to the development of an Engineering Execution Plan and schedule for the project and ensure adherence to is maintained.
- Review engineering design to ensure that engineering packages are completed to support the projects FEL3/Execution schedule.
- Conduct detailed technical/CADD and QA reviews of engineering drawings and specifications during the project design phase as per our client’s SPE and Local Standards.
- Manage drawing review meeting, coordinate meetings and design services with team members and site personnel.
- Identify, analyze and recommend opportunities for safety, productivity and cost improvements
- Participate in Design PHR or HAZOP and PNR reviews.
- Establish effective communication mechanism between contractors, our client’s personnel and outside resources.
- Participate in weekly engineering discussions (safety, quality, scope, schedule and cost) with the external Engineering Firm and internal teams.
- Review Scopes of work (SOW) and/or oversee the writing of a SOW by engineering consultants.
- Review Scopes of Supply (SCS) and/or oversee the writing of a SCS by engineering consultants.
- Coordinate input from, MTS, CED, Operations SHE groups, Specialists and outside regulatory groups (ESA, TSSA, and building Department- City of Sudbury) as required to ensure successful delivery of the Sudbury Mine Projects.
- Ensure that Construction Scopes of Work clearly defines (outlines) our expectations prior to releasing for tender.
- Participates in the Technical Management of Change (MOC).
- Participates in the Financial Management of Change (MOC).
- Be knowledgeable of engineering standards and notify CED in instances where standards may be out of date.
- Explore and identify additional opportunities for cost and schedule savings.
- Assist in the technical aspects of vendor and contractor bidder pre-qualification, tendering, and selection processes.
- Participate in the expediting and review of vendor deliverables and ITP plans in support of Capital Procurement.
- Provide guidance, direction, and assistance to the Project Team through Engineering, Construction, and Pre-commissioning phases of the Project.
- Closely participate, with the engineering contractor, in the monitoring and co-ordination of contractors’ productivity and performance.
- Provide assistance to SHE team to ensure engineering contractors’ compliance with established safety and environmental procedures and standards.
- Assist with quality assurance and technical audits of the engineering contractor.
- Participate in resolution of disputes and determination of priorities when conflicts are encountered.
- Reviews of design quality management plan, construction contractor/vendor inspection and test records.
- Assist Owner’s Commissioning Team in the planning of commissioning activities.
- Coordinate preparation of commissioning checklists and participate in commissioning. Ensure a Quality Plan is developed and execute for each CWP include inspections, testing and commissioning.
- Monitor the preparation and accuracy of as-built documentation.
- Support the design, construction and commissioning of the Sudbury Mine Projects.
- Participate in the selection and management of qualified engineering contractors for the plant design.
- Participate in site visits, bid reviews, and contractor kick off meetings as required.
- Ensure that work is completed in accordance with the contract scope, on time, within budget, and in accordance with the scope and specifications.
- Ensure the completion of purchase specification (These may be completed within the Project or by one of the various service groups/Consultants for the Project).
- Ensures the Contractor red line drawings are received and drawing is updated accordingly.
- Report to the our client’s Project Management Team.
- Ensure that all work is accomplished in a zero harm environment.
- Complete Monthly Leadership in the Field activities as assigned.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Experience: 4+ years (post P. Eng.)
- Certification Requirements: P. Eng.
- Ms Office – Word, Excel, Power Point (Proficient)
- Adobe Pro or PDF Exchange (Proficient)